Madrid Atocha Station, also called Madrid Puerta de Atocha, is the largest railway station in Madrid.
At this same site, the first railway station in Madrid was opened on February 9, 1851 under the name of Atocha-Mediodía.
This building was rebuilt and reopened in 1892, after it was largely destroyed by a fire. The architects in charge of the reconstruction, were Alberto de Palacio Elissagne in collaboration with Gustave Eiffel. This building has a steel and glass roof which extends between the two brick buildings .
It is also the main station of Madrid, for commuter trains, intercity and high-speed trains AVE, that have destination Barcelona (Catalonia), Zaragoza (Aragon), Seville (Andalusia), and Valencia (Levante or Oriental Region).
Train services are provided by the Spanish national railway company, RENFE.