The Puente de Segovia, is the oldest (surviving) bridge of Madrid. Its construction was ordered by Philip II to architect Juan de Herrera. Same author as the Monastery of El Escorial and the Palacio Real de Aranjuez, among other buildings.
The construction works, went on between 1582 and 1584. Six decades afterwards, in 1648, architect José de Villarreal proceeded to do some repair work, and also the front ornamental door work of Teodoro Ardemans. This was placed to give the bridge greater monumentality. This element was removed over time.
In November 1936, during the Spanish Civil War, the bridge was blown by the Republican side to prevent the entry into Madrid of Franco’s troops, under the command of General Yagüe. After the war, it was rebuilt by introducing some changes from the original design.